Dec 10, 2012

A Reminder To Myself

To become a good educator.

Else this happens!

***

So I want to share a story of a professor I had for a short course on contemporary issues in geography.

Caution:
My points here can get over exaggerated.
I do not mean to defame this said professor, I treat this issue as a systemic issue prevalent in our education system in which she came from.

Please read with open mind.

"In KL no fresh oxygen, that's why I easily get sick here"
Alright, oxygen is oxygen. We can have fresh or polluted air but oxygen is oxygen.

"Pagi itu sunrise; waktu petang itu sunset"
Correct! But we are postgraduate students.

"Where we get our solar energy from?" She asked, I didn't answer because I'm confused and didn't know what she expect from us
"The Sun"
Again, correct! But we are postgraduate students.

"Males are more suitable to use Geographical Information System (GIS) because males' imagination much better than females"
Oh really?

We have this slide (she got from a random US university and presented to us unmodified) mentioning about UPS/Fedex shipments using GIS.
"Kalau tak ada GIS itu barang tak tahu akan belayar ke mana nanti..."
Yeah don't think she's making a pun and I think she get the shipment word out of context.

And this is classic, when she tries to say "air berkorbanat" in English
"Instant water" !

And
"BN, Barisan Nasiaonal is very helpful when there's flood, they help people"
"During BN, a lot foreign investment, but in states of Pakatan, foreign people afraid to invest there"
"During Dr Koh Tsu Koon Penang very good now under Pakatan very bad"
Hello I know you are BN supporter but keep it to yourself I know how to judge. Please speak with facts and figures not just follow blindfolded.

"There are many tornadoes and hurricanes in USA, don't know why, why always there? It could be because they legalized gay marriage, some people say"
I guess she wants us to believe so as well. Hello you are a geographer (?) and you can't explain the facts with geographical knowledege?

And
"selagi hari kiamat tak sampai, kita masih perlu belajar tentang penduduk."
Speechless...

And many more.

***

Not the end. The battle to educate Malaysians is a long long journey. Your help is very much appreciated to save Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment